Wednesday, August 7, 2013

How to Play Country Girl and Navajo Indian

*UPDATE*
My sweet, funny, rascal of a friend passed away in December 2013. He is sorely missed. ~Kara

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Growing up, I was participant in and witness to a number of "Cowboys and Indians" and "Cops and Robbers" type playing. It was fun to play that type of action-filled, cat-and-mouse game.

Now as an adult, I get to play something similar, which is "Country Girl and Navajo Indian". Yes, I know the PC crowd will be all over the title. Get over it. He calls himself a "Navajo Indian". [So there!]

Here are a few examples of how we play this game:

I have a neighbor who is a widowed, 70+ year old Navajo Indian man. He likes to flirt with me and tease me.

I tend to walk around with a smile on my face and most people who know me in person tend to think I am very sweet [Hold the snickering, please]. Apparently, I appear to be friendly and very "approachable" to strangers. So, bearing this in mind, my neighbor gets a kick out of saying some truly crazy things to me in order to get me to say, almost with a growl, "NO!" in a very firm, kick-butt kinda way, while scowling. He finds it-that contrast-as well as that blatant feistiness-hysterically funny. He is always trying to come up with new things to say that will elicit that response from me. It's one of the little "Country Girl and Navajo Indian" games we play.

He built a trailer for his pickup truck and moved it into the shade. As I walked past him, he got that familiar twinkle in his eye and said, "I'm gonna put a cover on this so you can sleep in it at night during the hot summer." He got his "NO!" [Dirty ole man! I know exactly where he was going with that thought!] and he about doubled over with laughter from my response, which was a bit more vehement than usual.

He is quite the character.

Then there was the time he tried to get 'creative' with his garden hose when I walked past him. Chuh. I moved too quickly and it would have been too bad for him anyway-I wasn't wearing white.

On more than one occasion he has made a point of telling me how much he likes "white girls". Yeah, I kinda figured that one out.

He told me one time that I should move in with him because [You will love this] I am not getting any younger! I laughed and told him, "Neither are you."

So that, my friends, is how you play "Country Girl and Navajo Indian".

No comments:

Post a Comment